Looking to add a little zip to your life? If so, you might be interested in one of the best electric bikes.
There’s a few things you must consider before making purchase and I’ll show you what’s most important – you’ll see my top picks for 2017 too.
How To Choose An Electric Bike
E-Bikes aren’t cheap so you must pick the right one. Here’s a few things to consider when making your selection:
- Consider you personal needs and what terrain you’ll be navigating
- Battery, storage and maintenance
- Your own budget and state/country laws
An electric bike isn’t a motorcycle. In most cases these products assist your pedaling and make it easier to go farther and longer without getting as tired – you won’t get power coasting. This makes them useful in all types of terrain.
Any type of bike can be electric: road, mountain, comfort, hybrid, etc. Here’s a break down of each:
- Electric Mountain Bike: This is perfect for anyone looking to climb hills with ease. Electric mountain bikes tend to be very powerful and are all terrain. You can purchase them with full suspension so trail riding is smoother (you can check out my top picks for regular mountain bikes here).
- Electric Road Bikes: There aren’t too many of these on the market. People who buy road bikes tend to do it for the exercise and the augmenting nature of an E-Bike takes away from that. They’re still quite handy, however, and will take you farther than you’d usually go (you can check out my top picks for road bikes here).
- Electric Hybrid Bikes: I really like hybrid bikes – you can use them in so many situations and they’re perfect for commuting. Adding a motor only makes things that much better. If you’re looking for an efficient way to get to class, work or to run your errands with, this is the product for you.
- Electric Folding Bikes: An electric folding bike is perfect for city dwellers and people who commute to work. Once folded, they’re very compact and can be stored in small spaces – in your office, on the train and in your apartment.
As you can see there’s a ton of options!
Next, you’ll want to focus on the battery and your ability to store and maintain your E-Bike. Choosing the right battery is really important – get a low quality one and you’ll lose juice half way through your ride. Here’s an awesome video to sum everything up:
Not too complicated right? Battery storage is key too. Here’s a few tips on how to do that, based on battery type:
- Lead Acid Batteries: These are the most common and will last anywhere from 1 to 3 years. Extreme heat is bad for this battery type and you should store them in a cool, dry place. You must charge at least once a month too.
- Nickel Metal Hydride: Same guidelines as lead acid batteries. Nickel Metal Hydride does a little better in the heat, however.
- Lithium: Lithium batteries hold their charge much longer than the previous two types and only needs to be charged every 6 months or so. It’s best to store in a cool, dry place also.
E-Bikes are well made and need minimal maintenance. Most motors need to be replaced if broken – this goes for the battery too. Basically treat it the same way you’d treat a regular bike and you’ll be fine.
Also, you need to consider your own budget. You can find decent electric bikes starting at $500 and up. A high end one costs several thousands of dollars. Obviously the more you spend the more features you get.
Lastly, take a look at the laws governing E-Bikes in your state or country. Most limit how fast the motor will allow you to go and some areas even require a license and insurance to use one. If you’re interested in checking out your state or country’s laws regarding electric bikes, click here.
So now that you know exactly what to look for, let’s take a look at my top picks.
ProdecoTech Rebel X
ProdecoTech makes some of the best electric bikes on the market and their Rebel X is one of their top products. The Revel X is perfect for climbing steep mountains and riding through trails. This bike is water resistant and can take what ever mother nature throws at it. Also, this item features:
- Powerful disc brakes allow for complete contort over stopping
- Twist throttle gives you little boosts of speed
- Pedal Assist maximizes each pedal and makes riding less straining
You’ll get between 18 to 25 miles per charge and the top speed is around 19 MPH. This product comes with a 2 year warranty too. All this comes with a price, however. How much? Around $2,399. If you can afford that and want a top of the line electric bike, you should consider the Rebel X.
Vilano Pulse Men’s Electric Commuter Bike
The product you just saw is meant for trails and mountains. The Vilano Pulse is different – it’s meant for everyday life. If you need an electric bike for commuting, running errands and getting around this is a product you should consider. It’s perfect for city folk, college kids and people in the suburbs. I know you’ll like the:
- Pedal Assist that allows you to cut through winds and breeze to your destination
- 15 to 25 miles per charge
- A strong and durable Samsung lithium battery
The price isn’t horrible either and you can find the Pulse for around $799. I know if you decide on this bike you’ll be very happy.
Ancheer Power Plus Electric Mountain Bike
The Ancheer Power Plus is one of the cheaper products on this list. That doesn’t mean it’s poorly made or any thing like that – in fact it’s a really nice bike. It’s pretty lightweight as far as electric bikes go and comes with:
- A lithium battery that holds charge for a long period of time
- Slip resistant tires allows you to bike in wet conditions
- Made of aluminum and carbon steel that maximize durability and lifespan
The Power Plus has a 21 speed transmission too, so climbing hills is a breeze. Lastly, it has front and rear disc breaking to ensure safety; it’ll only cost you $599 too.
Amazon has a great feature where you can have an expert assemble the product for an extra $85. If you’d like to check out that deal, click below:
Yukon Trailer Xplorer Sport Hybrid Electric Bike
Company: Yukon Trail Bicycles
I mentioned before that I love hybrid bikes because they’re extremely versatile – you can use them in almost every situation and they work just as well in the city as they do in the suburbs and country. Add a motor to the mix and you have a very convenient and efficient machine at your disposal; that’s exactly what you get with the Yukon Trailer Xplorer Sport. I love that this bike:
- Comes with a top speed of 15 MPH so it’s legal in almost every part of the world
- Features Kenda 26 inch tires that can handle all weather conditions
- Allows for a comfortable sitting posture which reduces strain to your back
The Xplorer Sport isn’t cheap but won’t completely break the bank either. It’ll cost around $957. That’s pretty good when you consider all that you’re getting.
ProdecoTech Islander Electric Bike
The ProdecoTech Islander is very, very sleek looking and in my opinion is one of the best designed bikes on this list. Like the last ProdecoTech product, the Islander isn’t cheap and will cost around $1799 – not terrible for a high quality electric bike, though. Some features you’ll enjoy are the:
- Hydraulic disc brakes allow you to stop on a dime
- Twist throttle gives you extra boost from the motor
- 2 year warranty (very good) and top speed of 20 MPH
The battery will last up to 35 miles per charge too. This bike is meant to cruise and if that sounds like something you’d be interested in, definitely consider the Islander.
Cyclamatic Power Plus CX1 Electric Mountain Bike
The Cyclamtic Power Plus is an affordable option for anyone looking for an electric mountain bike – it’ll only cost around $549. I know you’ll love how easy this bike is to use – you can quickly take the battery out and switch gears without any hassle. Also, it comes with:
- 21 different speeds so you can conquer any hill without killing yourself
- Strong brakes and suspension makes this a smooth ride, even on rough terrain
- Will last up to 28 miles on a single charge and has a top speed of 15 MPH
The Power Plus get’s a lot of love on Amazon and if you’d like to read the reviews of actual customers, click below:
HaiBike Xduro Trekking RX Electric Hybrid Bike
Here we have another convenient electric hybrid bike and the Haibike Xduro Trekking RX is very, very high quality. Quality has a price, though, and Xduro Trekking will cost you $2299. If you can afford that you’ll like the:
- 27 speed drivetrain let’s you sail to where you have to be with ease
- Front disc brakes puts you in control of when and how fast you stop
- 20 MPH top speed meets most country and state regulations
This product is very sturdy and durable too – you’ll be cursing around on it for a while, that’s for sure.
Addmotor Electric Bike
The Addmotor Electric Bike has a very fierce look to it and almost looks like it could go 60 MPH (if only there weren’t state laws..). This is one of the few products that works just as well on the mountain as it does on the streets. It has the suspension needed for trail riding and the comfortable sitting posture needed for commuting. This Addmotor bike also features:
- Alloy frame that soaks up bumps for an extremely smooth ride
- Disc brakes make it easy to stop
- Can go up to 60 miles on a single charge
In terms of an electric bike the price isn’t too crazy and it’ll cost around $1599. When you consider some cost $5,000, that’s not too bad.
Ancheer Folding Electric Mountain Bike
This Ancheer electric bike is perfect for anyone with minimal storage space – it folds up into a compact package (you can check out my top picks for folding bikes here). This product sports an awesome design and can ride on all terrains, including city and trail. Some other nice features include:
- 26 inch aluminum wheels that are slip proof
- 21 speeds let’s you climb steep hills with less effort
- Lithium battery that holds a charge for a long time and will last a few years
You get the option of online assembly too. That makes life very easy.
Nakto 250W Electric Bike
I wouldn’t consider the Nakto 250W the best bike on this list but it certainly isn’t a bad product – it’s actually well made and has a fantastic price (you can pick it up for around $350 to $500). This makes it attractive for many bikers. It’s made primarily for commuters and these riders will love the:
- The max speed that reaches up to 16 MPH
- Long battery life will hold a charge for up to 24 miles
- A quick charge time of 4 to 6 hours
This bike is an excellent combination of performance, price and design. If you decide on it I know you’ll be very satisfied.
ProdecoTech Genesis V5
The Genesis V5 is another modern and sleek looking product from ProdecoTech. Every time you purchase from them you know you’re getting quality, performance and durability – that’s the case here. Some top features include:
- 18 MPH top speed is legal in most parts of the world
- Disc brakes allow you to stop safely and on command
- 8 speed shifter let’s you ride on whatever terrain you want
It can go up to 25 miles on a single charge too. The Genesis V5 isn’t cheap but it’s not the most expensive on this list either. It’ll cost around $1500, which is pretty good all things considered.
X-Treme Men’s Electric Mountain Bike
Company: X-Treme Scooter
The X-Treme Men’s Electric Mount Bike is loaded with features and is a very well made product. It’s not the most expensive bike on the list but it’s not cheap, either (it’ll cost around $849). If you decide on this bike you’ll like that it comes with:
- A maximum speed of 20 MPH and a headlight so you can commute in the dark
- A lightweight aluminum frame that’s also sturdy and durable
- Twist throttle for boosts of speed and peddle assist technology
This X-Treme Electric Bike has a battery indicator so you know when to charge the battery and a tool kit to assemble it with too. If you’re not the mechanical type you can have it assembled for you for an extra $85.
Vilano Pulse Women’s Electric Commuter Bike
Earlier you saw the Vilano Pulse for men and here’s the version for women. This is the perfect electric bike for people looking for a fun way to commute to work, run errands or just get around town with. It’s fairly priced, at around $799, and features:
- Front and rear safety lights so drivers can always see you
- Can go up to 30 miles on a single charge
- 7 speed shifter helps you navigate a multitude of terrains
The Pulse comes with a Samsung lithium battery too and is very durable. This is one of my favorite bikes and I know you’ll love cruising around town with it.
Freway 27 Electric Mountain Bike
The Freway 27 is technologically advanced and has both a touch panel and smart control. The touch panel gives you a ton of relevant information like remaining battery power, mileage, speed and calories burned. There’s even more to like, including:
- Cycling range of up to 60 miles
- Absorbs impacts and shakes which leads to a smooth ride on all surfaces
- 3 different cycling modes will assist you on different terrains
This is another bike that’s not cheap but not overly expensive either – it’ll cost around $699. For everything you get I believe that’s a great value.
Watseka XP Cargo Electric Bike
The Wateska XP is a cool looking bike and is best suited for people who live in the city, on college campuses or in the suburbs. It’s not blazing fast (will reach up to 14 MPH) but most people won’t need much more. This electric bike will make life easier and has:
- Front and rear lights as well as a front and rear cargo rack
- Adjustable seat and handle bar so anyone, regardless of height or gender, can use
- Front fork suspension will absorb shocks from potholes and manhole covers
The price is right too, and you can pick the Wateska XP up for around $549. The reviews on Amazon are very good and if you’d like to see them, click below:
Onway All Terrain Electric Bike
Last on the list is an electric bike from Onway, and like the name suggests, you can ride this product in all terrains. The tires are extremely well made and you can easily navigate in both sand and snow with them. If that’s not enough this bike comes with:
- Adjustable seat so anyone of any size can use
- Top speed of 20 MPH and can last up to 45 miles per charge
- 7 different speeds so you can conquer hills and trails
Some people believe this bike is worth well over $3000 and I can see why. Fortunately, however, you can pick it up for $1899. Still high but not too crazy.
Make Life Easier With An Electric Bike!
Biking is an excellent way to stay healthy and keep fit. However, there’s no need to meaninglessly exhaust yourself before work or after a long day. An electric bike makes things a little easier and helps you get around with less strain. No matter your budget or needs you will find a product listed here that works perfectly for you.
If you have any questions about what you’ve read, comment below and I’ll make sure to respond as fast as possible. You can let friends and family see by sharing on social media too.
Are you ready to breeze through your commutes with one of these bikes?