If you’re looking for a new way to cruise around town you may want one of the best city and commuter bikes.
There’s a few things to consider when making your purchase and I’ll show you what’s most important – you’ll see my top picks for 2017 too.
How To Choose The Right Bike
Selecting a commuter bike is a pretty simple process and you should think about the following:
- Where you live and your individual needs
- Different gears and suspension system
First off, you need to evaluate where you live and the different terrains you’ll be facing. If you live in a city with flat roads your needs will be different than someone from the hilly west coast – this comes down to gears, frame and suspension (I’ll get into them in a second).
You should think about what you’ll be transporting on your daily commute too. Do you have a briefcase to carry? A laptop? Books? Different products have different storage capabilities.
Next, take a look at the gears and suspension system. If you expect to tackle steep inclines and declines you’ll want a bike with more gears; this will make it easier and less straining to do so. Someone in NYC, however, will need less gears (a 1 speed works here).
The suspension system absorbs shock and different impacts. This is useful when going over sidewalks and manhole covers. I recommend getting a bike with a good suspension system because it’ll make your rides smooth.
Lastly, you should investigate the braking system. Different brake systems have their pros and cons. The best is disc brakes and they provide the most power; they work well in the rain and snow too. Other brakes, like cantilever and coaster brakes, won’t provide as much power but still work well – they tend to be cheaper too.
So now that you know exactly what to look for, let’s take a look at my top picks for the year.
PUBLIC M7 French Mixte City Bike
The PUBLIC M7 French City Bike is an awesome product and sports a very stylish design. It’s perfect for all urban terrains and can tackle hills and flat roads (it has 7 different gears to help on inclines). It also features:
- Oversized tires that can handle potholes and delivers a smooth riding experience
- 2 different sizes for different heights (small/medium for 5’0′ to 5’6″ and medium/large for 5’6″ to 6’0″)
- Lightweight steel frame that’s ultra durable
This is one my favorite looking bikes and it performs well. I personally like the powder blue color but you can choose from orange and a light cream too.
Vilano Women’s Retro City Commuter
If you’re looking for an affordable city bike, the Vilano Retro City is for you – it’ll only cost around $139. Despite its low price it still performs pretty well and has 7 gears to help you conquer all terrain. Also, you’ll like that it comes with a:
- Suspension saddle to absorb bumps
- Linear pull brakes deliver sharp stopping power
- Comfortable seat makes riding enjoyable
Vilano is a well known brand and they make excellent equipment. Everyone I know that owns their bikes are very satisfied.
Pure City Classic Commuter Bike
Company: Pure Cycles
The Pure City Commuter Bike is another well made and quality product. It’s a little pricey (will cost between $499 and $520) but is worth it if you can afford that. You get a lot of options with this bike and can choose between 3 gear or 1 gear and between medium and large – the one you pick depends on your needs. Also, I know you’ll like the:
- Steel frame that’ll last many trips and miles
- Large wheels give you a smooth ride
- Lifetime warranty
This Pure Cycles product gets a ton of good reviews on Amazon too and if you’d like to see what others are saying about it, click below:
Critical Cycles Beaumont Men’s Urban City Bike
Company: Critical Cycles
The Critical Cycles Beaumont is a city bike that’s designed specifically for men and delivers a really nice ride – you’ll be able to ride the Beaumont for miles in complete comfort. It features 7 different speeds so you are in complete control and it has:
- Front and rear brakes so you can stop on a dime
- Superior grip from the oversized Wanda tires, even in damp conditions
- Steel frame that absorbs shock and bumps
The price isn’t horrible either and this product will cost around $219. When you consider all that you’re getting you’ll recognize what a great value that price is.
Fortified City Commuter Theft Resistant Bike
A big concern with owning a bike in the city is the possibility of it getting stolen. To prevent this you’ll need a good bike lock or a theft resistant bike like the Fortified City Commuter – it comes with custom security bolts. It performs really well too, and features:
- Puncture proof tires so you don’t have to worry about flats
- Lightweight aluminum body that’s weatherproof and rust proof
- Very lightweight and perfect in urban environments
If you live in a hilly area you may want a different bike; this one only has 1 speed. Anyone riding on flat streets, however, will absolutely love commuting with this Fortified product.
PUBLIC Women’s C7 Dutch Commuter Bike
This is the second PUBLIC commuter on the list and this one, the C7, is designed specifically for women. The C7 has multiple speeds so you can tackle hills on it and comes in several different colors, designs and sizes. This bike is easy to get on and off and has:
- A lightweight and durable steel frame
- Gives you a comfortable, upright sitting posture so you don’t strain your back
- Puncture resistant tires that work well in damp conditions
The prices isn’t low but it’s not overly high either – it’ll cost around $499. I believe it’s worth that, though. It’s well made and very pleasing on the eyes.
6KU Urban Single Speed Bike
The 6KU Urban is another bike people living in hilly areas should avoid – it’s only 1 speed and designed to ride on flat surfaces. There’s still a ton of great features, however, and the best are:
- A lifetime warranty so you know the Urban is well made and durable
- Very lightweight and can be picked up with ease
- Aluminum frame will absorb shock from potholes and manhole covers
This bike comes in several different colors and a reasonable price – it’ll cost around $249. This makes it one of the top values on this list.
Sixthreezero Explore Your Range Men’s Commuter Bike
Sixthreezero is one of my favorite bike brands on earth – when your purchase from them you know you’re getting a perfect combination of style and performance. Their Explore Your Range commuter is no exception. Some features I know you’ll love include:
- 7 different speeds so you can ride through the hills of San Francisco and the flat streets of NYC
- Large tires and comfortable leather seat ensures a smooth and pleasant ride
- Supports all heights and sizes
This bike comes 85% assembled too so it can be put together quickly. If you’re not the mechanical type you can pay to have the Explore Your Range assembled online though Amazon – it’ll cost $100 but is very convenient. If you want to check that deal out, click below.
Genesis Commuter Electric Bike
The Genesis Commuter Electric Bike is an ultra convenient way to get around urban areas. An electric bike isn’t quite like a motorcycle but it’s still helpful – it makes pedaling easier and less straining. This means you can go farther and ride longer with little effort. Other features include:
- Battery that goes 38 miles per charge
- Top speed of 20 MPH so you can get where you need to be quickly
- Lightweight and won’t slow you down
Because of the uniqueness of having a motor this product will cost you a little extra – around $799. If you like the idea of an electric bike, you can click here to check out my top picks for the year. Or you can check out the Genesis by clicking below.
Gama Bikes Urban Commuter
Company: Gama Bikes
The Gama Bikes Urban Commuter is an excellent product that won’t break the bank – it’ll cost around $299. This bike comes in several different colors so you’ll find one that you’ll like and has:
- A lightweight steel frame that delivers an enjoyable riding experience
- 6 speed shifting let’s you cruise up and down inclines and declines
- Allows a relaxed, non-straining sitting position
This commuter accommodates many different heights too and is perfect for anyone between 5’3′ and 6’0.”
Retrospec Mars City Commuter
Like the name suggests, the Retrospec Mars Commuter has a vintage look to it and is a versatile product. You can choose from many different options from 1 speed all the way to 7 speeds and from different sizes – there’s a Retrospec bike for all people regardless of needs, locality or height. Some other cool features include:
- Built for comfort and is pleasant to ride
- Steel frame that absorbs shock and is very durable
- Cruiser handlebars allows for an upright sitting posture which is non-straining
- Kenda tires made sepcifcally for commuting
The price isn’t terrible either and this bike will only cost around $299. If you’re on a budget and don’t want to give up much in the quality department, you should consider this product.
Pure City Dutch City Bike
Company: Pure City
The Pure City Dutch is another bike that gives you a ton of choices. You can select from 8 different stylish and vibrant colors and you can decide on different sizes and speed options. This is definitely one of the best looking products on this list and comes with a:
- Lifetime warranty on the frame
- Front and rear brakes gives you more control over stopping
- Large Kenda tires that deliver a smooth ride
The Pure City dutch isn’t cheap, however, and will cost around $499. If you have that to spend, though, this is a bike you should consider.
Lombardo Rimini Women’s City Bike
Here we have another bike designed specifically for the needs of women – the Lombardo Rimini is very feminine looking and is hand made in Italy. This product is good for people that aren’t mechanically inclined because it gets delivered 99% assembled. Also, it features:
- 6 speed and will help you handle inclines and declines
- Front and rear lights and brakes
- Sturdy frame that absorbs shock from potholes, sidewalks and manhole covers
The Rimini has large tires for a smooth ride too. It’s not the cheapest bike but it’s not overly expensive either and will cost around $418.
Critical Cycles Harper Urban Bike
Company: Critical Cycles
The Critical Cycles Harper is an excellent value and you can own this bike for around $199. It may not be on the same level as some of the more expensive products on this list but it’s still well made and quality. I know you’ll like the:
- Comfortable and relaxed upright sitting position you get
- Extra wide Wanda tires that excel in urban settings
- Front and rear brakes for added safety
You get many different options in term of size too. One thing to keep in mind is the Harper is a single speed bike. If you live in a hilly city like San Francisco, you’ll want a different product.
Retrospec Siddhartha Commuter Bike
Like the product you just saw, the Retrospec Siddhartha is affordable (will cost around $217), has multiple sizes to choose from and is a single speed bike. Some other features include:
- Built for comfort and has durable leather grips and seat
- Lightweight design so you’re not slowed down unnecessarily
- Durable and built to last
This isn’t the best bike on earth but it has a lot going for it. If you don’t want to spend over $300 you should consider the Siddhartha.
Vilano R2 Commuter 21 Speed Bike
The Vilano R2 is built for speed and can handle steep inclines – it has 21 speeds. This bike is also lightweight which makes it a useful product to own. It’s not overly expensive, at around $209, and has:
- Large wheels that will help you zip around town
- Sturdy frame stands the test of time
- Thumb shifters are ultra convenient to use
The Vilano is another bike that gets a lot of love on Amazon and if you’d like to see the reviews, click below:
Critical Cycles Beaumont Women’s Urban City Bike
Company: Critical Cycles
Last on the list is the Critical Cycles Beaumont and it’s designed specifically for women. This is a very stylish bike and you get several choices in size and colors – I personally like the color shown to the right. Some other cool features include:
- Revoshift grip shifters makes changing gears very simple and easy
- Front and rear alloy brakes give you more control over stopping
- Shock absorbing Wanda tires are a pleasure to ride on
You won’t have to give up your life savings for the Beaumont either and it will cost around $280. This bike blends performance, an affordable price and design perfectly in my book.
Get Around Town With A Quality Commuter Bike!
There’s so many reasons to own a nice bike if you live in the city – you won’t need to worry about parking, insurance, gas or anything like that. You’ll save a lot of time and stress with the right bike too. No matter your needs or budget, there’s a product here that’ll perfectly for you.
If you have any questions about what you’ve read, comment below and I’ll make sure to respond as fast as possible. You can let friends and family see by sharing on social media too.
Are you ready to try out your new bike?