You need to pick a quality pair to play at your highest level and I’ll show you what to consider before making your purchase; you’ll see my top picks too.
How To Select Your Sunglasses
There are a few things to think about and the most important are:
- Make sure the product you pick is made specifically for baseball/sports
- Name brand
- Look at the lens (materials, color, treatments)
First off, you need to make sure your glasses are made for baseball (all on this list are). You don’t want to be distracted because your eye wear is bouncing around your face and sliding all over the place. Baseball sunglasses are made to stay in place when you track down fly balls and make diving catches.
Next, you want to make sure the pair you select comes from a well known sports company (Oakley, Nike, Under Armour, etc) – they pour millions into design and research. Their products are top notch and will give you the best experience possible.
Lastly, and most importantly, you need to examine the lens. There’s a couple important factors like:
- Lens material: Many experts believe polycarbonate is the best material and the most durable for baseball. Trivex is very lightweight and scratch resistant but won’t protect your face very well.
- Lens treatment: You’ll probably want high definition glasses – you need UV protection to protect your eyes from sun damage as well.
- Polarized lens: These do a great job eliminating glare but may interfere with depth perception
- Lens color: Different colors are better in different conditions: For example, clear is good at night and grey is good for partly sunny days. Brown, copper and amber are very popular too.
So now that you know what to look for before purchasing, let’s take a look at my top picks.
Oakley Men’s Radar EV Path
Oakley is very well known and you are going to see a lot of their products on this list – they’re top of the line, very durable and will have you playing at your highest. The Radar EV Path’s are one of their top pairs and some top features include:
- Taller lens to increase your field of vision
- Durable O Matter frames that can easily last the entire season
- Interchangeable lens feature that allows you to customize based on weather
- Impact resistant Plutonite lens
And much, much more.The Radar EV Path’s are for high performing baseball players and you will love having them protecting you.
Under Armour Core 2.0
Company: Under Armour
I’m a big fan of Under Armour and I’m really impressed with their growth – they aren’t quite on Nike’s level yet but they’re making a strong push to be there. Their Core 2.0’s are an excellent pair of glasses for any elite level player. They’re pretty affordable, at around $75, too. Not bad when you consider these come with:
- Adjustable nose pad and temple feature to give you the best fit possible
- Absorbs impact and protects your face
- Breathable and will reduce sweat build up
This product can be worn off the baseball field too. If you like to play golf or tennis these will come in handy.
Oakley M2 Frame XL
The Oakley M2 Frame XL’s aren’t exactly cheap (will cost around $120) but they are high quality – definitely worth it if you want maximum protection. These have the same durable O Matter frames as the Radar EV Path’s and features:
- A very wide vision range
- High definition clarity which allows you to make every play
- UV protection to protect your eyes from sun damage
The M2’s are really comfortable to wear too. You won’t mind having these on your face all day
Nike Skylon 15
The Skylon 15’s come from sports giant Nike and won’t break the bank either – you can pick these up for less than $89. You know you’re getting Nike quality when you put these on. Plus they have:
- Precision views from all angles
- Very comfortable design
- Vents to reduce moisture and fogging
This product is very understated and something you can wear off the field as well.
Easton Flares Sunglasses
Easton is a well known baseball company and I’ve been wearing their gear all my life – I can vouch for their quality. The Flares aren’t exactly top of the line but they are very affordable (will only cost around $25). Some nice features include:
- Polycarbonate lens that won’t crack
- One size fits all design
- Feels good to wear
If you are an elite player you may want a different product; these just don’t have the features you will need. If you play for fun or at a lower level you’ll get a lot of use from the Flares.
Under Armour Igniter 2.0
Company: Under Armour
The Under Armour Igniter 2.0’s are another excellent product and one that is enjoyable to wear. They come in a bunch of different colors so you can get the exact protection you need – some other cool features include:
- Rimless design to eliminate visual distractions
- Mirrored lens to reduce glare
- Very good job fighting scratches
These sunglasses are lightweight too. You can find them for under $100 which is a nice price when you consider what you’re getting.
Oakley Flak 2.0 XL
The Oakley Flak 2.0 XL’s are made for high performers and you’ll find them protecting the eyes of professional athletes. This ultra stylish product will let other know you are serious about your game and you’ll love that they come with:
- High definition lens to give you maximum clarity to make the toughest plays
- Lightweight materials that give an enjoyable feel
- Protects against wind and impact, not just the sun
The Flak’s will cost over $100. That will be too high for some while others will recognize the value of this product. If you are the latter you’ll be happy with your decision to purchase these.
Oakley Quarter Jacket (Youth)
Here we have another pair of Oakley’s (I told you there would be a lot of them!) and the Quarter Jacket’s are made specifically for youth players. Your child will adore these sunglasses and some top features include:
- A light weight and non-distracting design
- Protects face against line drives
- One of the best fits on earth
This is a top of the line product for kids and will improve their play immensely.
Easton Interchangeable Sunglasses
These sunglasses are another cheap pair from Easton. Like the Flares, the Interchangeable’s shouldn’t be your first choice if you play very competitive baseball. However, they still have some nice features, like:
- Interlocking lens clips
- Flexible design that won’t break easily
- Adjustable fit for your unique face
These are perfect for people who like to have a catch with their friends or play in men’s leagues.
Under Armour Rival
Company: Under Armour
The Under Armour Rival’s are one of my favorite looking sunglasses – they just so happen to perform at a high level too. They’re not cheap and will cost over $100. The Rival’s are worth it, however, and feature:
- 3 Point grip system to keep them locked to your face
- Titanium frames that are very difficult to break
- Armoursight technology enhances sight by 20%
This product reduces and fights against smudges and will keep your field of vision clear for the entire game. These are a must have for elite players.
Oakley Evzero Prizm
The Oakley Evzero Prizm’s are very sleek and offer superior protection for your eyes. Not exactly inexpensive at $135 but they do features a lot, like:
- High definition lens that will make things crisp and clear
- Comes with a cloth and hard case
- Very lightweight
These are loved by many baseball payers and a top pick among professionals – you can’t go wrong with the Evzero Prizm’s, that’s for sure.
Oakley Frogskins Sunglasses
The Frogskins are one of the few Oakley sunglasses you’ll find under $100. This product can be worn on and off the baseball field and has a very understated look to them. Some top features include:
- Full protection from harmful UV rays
- Shatter resistant frames
- High definition lens makes things as clear as possible
You’ll have no problem catching fly balls in the sun with these protecting your eyes.
Don’t Let The Sun Distract You This Season!
The last thing on earth you want to do is botch an easy play in the field because you were blinded by the sun – or to drop a ball because your low quality sunglasses were distracting you. The products on this list are the best available and will have you playing at your highest possible level.
If you have any questions about what you’ve read, comment below and I’ll make sure to respond as fast as possible. You can let your friends and teammates see by sharing on social media too.
Are you ready to make some web gems this year?