If you’re looking for one of the best road bikes you’ve come to the right place.
A road bike is an excellent way to stay fit and I’ll show you how to select the right one – you’ll see my top picks for 2017 too.
How to choose a road bike
There’s a few important things to consider when making your selection and they are:
- Your personal needs and the terrain you’ll be riding on
- Frame materials
- Crankset and gears
- Wheels and brakes
Personal Needs and Riding Style
Finding the perfect road bike should be based on personal needs. First, are you an experienced or novice cyclist? Likewise, will biking be a serious undertaking for you or will it just be a weekend or occasional hobby? The answers to these questions will guide you as you search for an ideal product.
Second, what’s your budget? The amount of money you plan to spend should factor into your decision – you want a good combination of cost and performance.
Aluminum offers a number of benefits for cyclists of all skill levels; it’s inexpensive and lightweight, making it perfect for speed and easy to handle.
However, it doesn’t absorb vibrations well and can lead to a bumpy ride on uneven surfaces.
Carbon fiber is more expensive because of the labor involved in constructing this material. However, it absorbs vibrations well, leading to smoother rides. It’s also lighter and more durable than aluminum. Cyclists who are serious about biking often prefer carbon fiber.
Crankset And Gears
Also, you should consider what kind of crankset and how many gears you want – the more gears the better its ability to climb hills.
You can choose from triple, double, or compact cranksets. Triple cranksets have three chainrings and are paired with nine-speed cassettes. This pairing gives you 27 different gears to use while you cycle.
Triple cranksets are recommended for going uphill and through steep canyons.
Double and compact cranksets have two chainrings that are paired with 10-speed cassettes for a combined 20 gears. Compact cranksets are designed for better sporting and speed as well as tighter turns around corners. Double cranksets are designed for stronger cyclists and those who prefer to bike on flat lands.
Wheels and Brakes
Finally, consider the wheels and brake options before making your selection. The wheels influence how your bike feels and responsiveness. They also play a role with speed and aerodynamics.
Your brakes have an effect on responsiveness too. Road bikes come with one of two brakes. Rim brakes are the more popular style and are lighter.
However, many road bikes today now use disc brakes. Disc brakes are more powerful and offer better modulation. They’ll allow your bike to be ridden in any kind of weather including damp conditions. They’re not negatively impacted by road debris like salt and sand either.
Disc brakes are easier and more affordable to repair too – new discs for your bike’s brakes go for less than $10.
Head Accel XR Road Bike
Head is one my favorite outdoor companies and I use their gear in many different activities. Their Accel XR Road Bike is an excellent product and one all skill levels can appreciate. Some awesome features include:
- 24 speeds allow you to tackle steep inclines and declines
- Lightweight aluminum frame won’t slow you down unnecessarily
- Kenda 700c tires delivers a smooth ride
It’s also easy to shift gears. The Accel XR isn’t exactly cheap and will cost around $899. If you plan on getting out there, though, this is a bike you should consider.
Diamondback Airen Women’s Road Bike
Diamondback is another excellent company and they make top of the line bikes. Their Airen is designed specifically for women and can be purchased in many different sizes to suit your physical needs. Also, it comes with:
- Mechanical disk brakes that provide superior stopping power
- Alloy fork allows for maximum handling and let’s you cruise around corners
- Easy shifting and many gears to choose from so you can tackle all terrains
This is another road bike that’ll cost over $800. Someone just testing the waters won’t necessarily need this product. However, someone who loves biking will get there money’s worth quickly.
GMC Denali Road Bike
Here we have a road bike that’s best suited for beginners. The GMC Denali isn’t expensive and will cost around $260. You get a few different choices in color and size so you can easily find one you like. Also, I know you’ll appreciate the:
- Shimano revoshifters which let you switch gears quickly and safely
- Lightweight aluminum frame is sturdy and absorbs shocks
- 700c tires perform well and let you grip the road
If you’re an ultra competitive biker and want to get the most out of each and every single ride, you may want to look else where. Everyone else will enjoy the Denali.
Diamondback Century 2 Road Bike
The Century 2 is another high quality and well made bike from Diamondack. This product is reserved for more advanced riders who love to hit the road – the price reflects this and the Century 2 will cost around $1500. Some top features include:
- Allows for a comfortable, upright riding position so you can go farther without straining yourself
- Shimano hydraulic disc brakes gives you complete and maximum control over stopping
- Michelin HED tires deliver a smooth ride
The reviews on Amazon are excellent too, and if you’d like to check out what other customers are saying about this bike, click below:
Schwinn Phocus 1600 Men’s Road Bike
Schwinn’s been around since the 1800’s and their brand is synonymous with bikes. Their Phocus 1600 is designed specifically for men and delivers an excellent riding experience at a reasonable price – it’ll cost around $520. It’s great for almost everybody because of its:
- Sturdy and lightweight frame will help you reach higher speeds
- Carbon fiber fork will improve handling and keep you agile
- Reliable tires are made to last
This bike has many gears too, so you’ll be able to ascend and descend hills easily.
Vilano Aluminum Road Bike
Vilano is another trusted name in the bike world and this road bike is a fairly priced product (around $290) and is best suited for beginner and intermediate riders. These bikers will love the:
- 21 different speeds that lets you conquer various terrains
- One of the lightest bikes on the market and only weighs around 24 pounds
- Handlebar mounted shifters so you can switch gears easily
This road bike is definitely one of the better ones for under $300 – you’ll have a hard time finding more quality at such a low price.
Savadeck Phantom 2.0 Road Bike
The Savadeck Phantom 2.0 is one of the top two or three bikes on this list. It has everything going for it including high quality materials that are both durable, high performing and lightweight – plus it has a sharp design and is really eye catching. This is a product made for serious athletes and has a:
- Carbon fiber frame which is top of the line
- 22 speeds and easy to shift
- Maxxis tires that delivers an awesome ride and are made to last
The Phantom comes in several different colors too, so you can get the exact look you want. If you’re serious about biking you have to consider this bike if you can afford it. You’ll love every second and mile with it.
Pz Racing 11-Speed Road Bike
Company: Pz Racing
This is the most expensive bike on the list and for good reason – it’s extremely high quality and well made. The PZ Racing Road Bike can reach fast speeds and comes with:
- Carbon fiber frame which is the best you can get
- Lightweight and is good for racing
- Excellent handling and can take turns easily
This product will last a long time too; you won’t have to worry about replacing it for a long time.
Merax Finiss Road Bike
Here we have another affordable road bike that’s reserved for beginners and less serious riders. The Merax Finiss will only cost around $219 and has some nice features, including:
- Kenda tires which are known for their quality and performance
- Aerodynamic frame let’s you achieve high speeds
- Light, sturdy and very durable
Despite its low price it has a lot going for it. Fanatics will need more but everyone else will be satisfied with what they get.
Kestrel Talon Road Bike
The Kestrel Talon is a high end product and is reserved for more serious riders. This isn’t a cheap bike and it’ll cost around $1299. People that love biking will happily pay that for quality and the Talon is quality. That’s because it features:
- Carbon fiber materials which are durable and lightweight
- Aerodynamic and tested in intense wind tunnels
- Extremely adjustable and will fit the needs of everyone
- Very strong and transfers energy well (this gives you more control of steering)
You’d be very luck to own a product like this and I know if you decide on it, you’ll be very happy you did.
Giordano Libero Acciao Road Bike
The Giordano Libero Acciao comes at an excellent price – around $334. You can choose from a wide variety of sizes to suit your physical needs and it comes with a:
- Lightweight design and weighs under 30 pounds
- 14 different speeds to help you cruise up and down inclines and declines
- Steel frame ensures a smooth and sturdy ride
If you’re ultra competitive or training for a specific event you may want a different product – this bike is deigned more for causal riders and novices.
Schwinn Men’s Volare Road Bike
Here we have another affordable bike and the Schwinn Volare is best suited for men and beginners. It’ll only cost around $240 and has some nice features, including:
- Lifetime warranty so you know it’s well made and durable
- Front and rear alloy brakes help you stop on a dime
- 21 different speeds is an asset in many terrains and for handling
This is another product that gets a ton of love on Amazon and if you’d like to see what actual customers are saying, click below:
Diamondback Women’s Haanjen Road Bike
The Haanjen is another awesome product from Diamondback and is a top of the line bike designed specifically for women. Beginners and causal riders should look elsewhere – the Haanjen is meant to be rode often and aggressively. It has a lot going for it, like the:
- Disc brakes give you the most stopping power possible
- Flat handlebars allow for a comfortable sitting position that’s less straining on your back
- Lightweight and durable aluminum frame
The best part is this bike isn’t overly expensive either and you can pick it up for around $599. That’s a very good price when you consider all that you’re getting.
Savadeck T800 Road Bike
The Savadeck T800 is another bike that’s reserved for serious riders. It’s not cheap and will cost around $939. This isn’t bad for a top of the line bike, however, and that’s exactly what the T800 is. If you decide on this bike I know you’ll like the:
- Carbon fiber frame which is the best material you can get
- Kenda tires are slick proof and can be used in damp conditions
- Very lightweight and easy to transport around
Another aspect I love is this bike is shipped almost completely assembled – this saves time and is a money saver. You’ll be able to enjoy the T800 almost immediately.
Tommaso Imola Road Bike
The Tommaso Imola is a bike that all skill levels can enjoy – it has the performance and durability skilled bikers desire and a price beginners and intermediates can live with (will cost around $499). I like that the Imola comes with:
- A Lightweight aluminum frame that’s easy to transport around
- Upgraded handlebars and brakes you’d find on products worth much more
- 24 different speeds to help you cruise up inclines and down declines
This is definitely one of the best values on this list. You won’t go broke buying it and you get a top notch riding experience.
Vilano Forza 2.0 Road Bike
The Vilano Forza 2.0 isn’t a cheap bike and will cost around $925. Beginners won’t need a product this expensive and the Forza 2.0 is best suited for serious bikers. These athletes will love the:
- 12K carbon fiber fork that ensures excellent handling
- 700c double walled wheels allow for a smooth ride
- Easy to shift gears and 9 different speeds makes life easy
This is a very high performing bike and can hit some high speeds. If biking is your preferred activity to stay fit I would strongly consider this product.
Schwinn Men’s Prelude Road Bike
The Schwinn Prelude is one of the cheaper bikes on this list and it’ll cost around $230. If you’re a competitive biker or very serious about it, you should look elsewhere – the Prelude is designed for beginners and people just trying out the sport. That doesn’t mean it’s a terrible product, however, and some top features include:
- 14 speeds make it useful on a bunch of different terrains
- Fairly lightweight and weighs around 33 pounds
- Easy to use shifters allows you to switch gears without any hassle
So if you’re new to biking you should consider this product – you’ll have a hard time finding a better one suited for your needs.
Ridley Fenix 105 Road Bike
Last on the list is another bike that’s pretty expensive (will cost around $1199) and is made specifically for serious bikers. Some of my favorite features include:
- Lightweight aluminum frame is ultra fast and a carbon fork for improved handling
- Easy to shift and comes with 11 speeds
- Extremely durable and is a product you’ll enjoy for a long time
It basically comes down to budget here. If you want a high quality road bike, and have a little over $1000 to spend, you’ll love how the Fenix rides.
Hit The Road With A High Quality Bike!
Biking is one of the most enjoyable ways to exercise and it can really improve your life in many different ways. However, this will only happen if you have the right road bike – pick the wrong one and you won’t be having too much fun. No matter you skills, needs or budget there’s a product on this list for you.
If you have any questions about what you’ve read, comment below and I’ll make sure to respond as fast as possible. You can let friends and family see by sharing on social media too.
Are you ready to try out your new road bike?