Are you looking to improve your golf game with one of the best golf rangefinders?
If so, I would like to show you what to look for when making your purchase – you’ll see my top picks of 2017 too.
How To Pick The Right Rangefinder
There’s a few things to consider before buying your new rangefinder and the most important are:
- Know the distance capabilities
- Your own needs and skill level
- Know the limitations of each product
A good rangefinder can accurately measure distances up to 1000 to 1500 yards. Keep in mind bigger, brightly colored objects are easier to pin point from farther distances than smaller, darker ones. A flagstick can easily be spotted by a quality rangefinder from 500 yards away, which is more than enough for any golfer.
Next, you need to know what you’ll be using this product for. Some rangefinders are banned from competition because they measure slope (you can turn the slope feature off to use in tournaments in many cases). A tournament approved rangefinder has fewer features and just measures distance. If you’re planning on using this equipment for personal use you can have as many features as you want.
Lastly, know the limitations of a rangefinder. They measure distance by sending a laser out to an object and having it reflect back. These products work best in normal weather and some may have a hard time working in rain or inclement weather. Also, the field of vision can’t be obstructed. You won’t be able to measure a flagstick that’s behind a bunch of trees.
Many people love playing with a rangefinder, though, because it makes life much easier. You know exactly how far targets are and which clubs to use in every situation. With all that in mind, let’s take a look at my top picks for the year.
Nikon Golf Coolshot 80i VR
Nikon is well known in the optics world and their Golf Coolshot 80i VR is one of the best rangefinders available. It’s very stable and will remain focused even if you move. It can accurately pick out targets from a 1000 yards away and features:
- 8 second continuous measurement technology that helps you pin point small objects
- ID technology that measures slope so you pick the perfect club every time (can be disabled for tournament use)
- Bullseye indicates when you’ve locked onto your target
- Works well in all weather conditions
The Coolshot is made for skilled golfers and is pretty expensive – it will cost around $440. This piece of equipment is definitely worth every penny if you value your game and wish to save yourself some stress.
Leupold GX-2i2 is a tough piece of equipment and is designed to last – it can easily absorb falls and is waterproof. The Quick Set Menu helps you pick your targets fast and lets you get to your desired settings very quickly. It also comes with:
- 6 times magnification technology that let’s you spot objects with ease
- Pin Hunter 2 technology filters out background images so you can pin point your target better
- Accurate within 1/10th of a yard
- Club Selector Technology that suggests which club you should use based on past performances
Owning this product is like having your own personal caddie! The price isn’t horrible either, at around $209. With all you’re getting that’s a really fair price.
Precision Pro Golf Rangefinder
Company: Precision Pro Golf
The Precision Pro Golf Rangefinder is one of the best priced products on this list – it will cost around $154. If you’re an elite level golfer you may want a different rangefinder; this one is geared towards beginners and intermediates. It’s not low quality or anything like that, but advanced golfers may want a little more. Some top features include:
- No slip grip will help it from falling out of your hand
- Legal for tournament play and accurate within 1 yard
- 1 year warranty
The Precision Pro Golf magnifies by 6 times and filters out background images so you can pick out your target easily. It has one of the shortest ranges on this list of 400 yards but that should be good for almost everyone.
Callaway Hybrid Laser GPS
Callaway is a golf giant (you can check out there golf watches here) and anytime you buy something from them you know you’re getting a quality, durable and well made piece of equipment – like the Hybrid Laser GPS. This product is 2 in 1 because it makes use of both laser and GPS technology (the GPS has over 30,000 courses pre-loaded and gives accurate distances to front, back and middle of each green). I know you’ll love:
- The thousand yard range and it’s ability to be accurate within 1/10th of a yard
- Pin Acquisition Technology easily let’s you lock onto the pin from 300 yards away.
- Let’s you scan multiple objects at once
This rangefinder comes with 3 sleeves of Callaway golf balls, divot repair tool and extra batteries; there aren’t any subscription fees for the GPS either. How much for all this? Around $350. This is definitely one of the best values on this list.
Tonor 650 Yard Gold Rangefinder
The Tonor Gold Rangefinder is designed specifically for entry level and intermediate golfers and costs a very reasonable $89. Advanced golfers should find a product with a few more features. Everyone else will like that this product comes with:
- Range capabilities of 600 yards, within a yard of accuracy
- Waterproof and will survive drops
- Very lightweight and can be stored and carried around easily
This piece of equipment isn’t meant exclusively for golf. It can be used for many other outdoor activities like hunting and fishing. The Gold Rangefinder does have a specific golf setting so it’ll perform on the course too.
This Leupold rangefinder is the level up from the one you already saw. The GX-4i2 is more expensive at around $479 and has more features too. This product let’s you see everything: incline, decline, weather conditions, atmospheric information, altitude and more. A beginner should stay away from the GX-4i2; they really don’t have much use for all that information. Any seasoned golfer will love having that at their disposal, though, and will love the:
- Low glare and scratch resistant technology
- Prism Lock instantly locks onto a flagstick and displays distance
- Scan Mode gives you distances on multiple objects while panning an area
- Club Selector Technology advises which club you should use based on your performance on past holes
This rangefinder will last and is resistant to damage and water – you’ll be playing with the Gx-4i2 for years. If you want to see why many people consider this a premiere rangefinder, click below:
Bushnell Tour V4 Rangefinder
The BushnellTour V4 is VERY popular and well loved by players of all skill levels and backgrounds. One of the best and most popular features is the Pin Seeker Technology with Jolt. When you’ve locked onto the pin you get a series of vibrations so you know you’re good to go. Also it comes with a:
- Premium carrying case for extra protection
- Rain and waterproofing
- Comes with a 2 year warranty
This item is built to last and will stand up to whatever you or mother nature throws at it – plus it will give you accurate distances quickly, up to 1000 yards and 400 yards to the flag.
Tec Tec Tec VPro 500s
Company: Tec Tec
The VPro 500s is a nice product and is one all golfers will love having in their arsenal. It comes at a very reasonable price, at around $179, and has a full 1 year warranty. Some other features I really like are:
- Different seeker modes depending on your shot (one for flag seeking, one for distance in wooded areas and one for scanning)
- Slope mode measures uphill and downhill slopes so you know exactly what you have in front of you
- Measures up to 550 yards away
Battery, cleaning cloth and bag is included too – not bad for such a low cost!
Pinpoint 550PS Waterproof Rangefinder
Company: Golf Utilities
The Pinpoint 550PS Rangefinder is one of the more basic products on this list; it’s perfect for entry level and indeterminate golfers. Besides being able to measure up to 550 yards away, this rangefinder also:
- Is small, lightweight and portable
- Pin seeking technology quickly measures distance to the flagstick
- Magnifies 6x
This piece of equipment requires a 1 CR2 lithium battery (it’s not included). The Pinpoint 550PS only costs $119, so you can afford to pick up a battery with it.
This is the 3rd Leupold rangefinder on the list and the GX-1i2 is the most basic and least expensive of the trio. That doesn’t mean it’s low quality or anything like that; in fact it’s still one of the best products listed here. Some top features include:
- Durable and waterproof design that can take a beating
- Prism Lock gives you very accurate distance measurements
- Is accurate within 1/2 yard and has pin seeking technology
This product is completely legal to use in tournaments too. Not bad for a product you can pick for under $195.
Callaway Golf 200
The Callaway Golf 200 is one of the most compact and easy to hold rangefinders on the market. It’s still quite powerful, though, and can pin point distances up to 800 yards away within a yard of accuracy. Besides it’s lightweight design, it’s:
- Built to withstand all weather conditions including rain and fog
- Scan function allows you to measure the distance of multiple objects at once
- 1 year warranty
If you want a simple to use rangefinder, this Callaway product will be perfect for you. Also, it’s fairly priced too, at around $176.
Breaking 80 Golf Rangefinder
Company: Breaking 80 Golf
The Breaking 80 Golf Rangefinder has an excellent price of $129 and a very unique feature – it comes with a lifetime warranty. If for any reason, and without questions asked, this rangefinder breaks, Breaking Golf will replace it. That’s pretty cool. It has some other nice features too, like:
- Can spot all objects like flag, bunker or tree
- Compact and portable
- Easy to hold and durable
In terms of performance it’s pretty average but when you factor in the lifetime replacement guarantee, it’s a pretty special product.
Callaway Golf Micro Prism
Here we have another Callaway product, and like the previous ones you already saw, the Micro Prism is very high quality, high performing and well made. This piece of equipment is extremely portable and compact too (fits in your palm). The one con is it doesn’t measure distance as far as some of the other rangefinders here and will measure up to 300 yards away. That’s fine for most golfers and it also:
- Is accurate within a single yard
- Extremely easy to use
- LCD display screen and waterproof
It comes with a few sleeves of Callaway golf balls and a divot repair tool. Plus it will only cost around $216.
Premium Slope Golf Rangefinder
Company: Serene Life
The Premium Slope Golf Rangefinder is a nice little product and is affordable at $159. Some rangefinders are complicated to use and will stress you out – that’s not what this equipment is suppose to do. It’s suppose to make life easier and take some strokes off your score. This Serene Life product is very simple and all you have to do is point and press a button to get distance. You’ll also like that it comes with:
- Pin Seeker Technology that can pin point a flagstick from hundreds of yards away
- Smart Slope technology factors in uphill and downhill slopes when giving distance
- Runs efficiently and won’t burn out batteries quickly
The Amazon reviews for this piece of equipment are really positive too. If you want to read what others have to say click below:
Crenova LR600 Rangefinder
The Crenova LR600 has a subtle design and is very compact. They say big things come in small packages and that applies here. Besides being completely waterproof and coming with a full 1 year warranty, this product also features:
- 20 second scan option that allows you to get the distance of multiple objects at once
- Pin Seeker Technology quickly measures the distance to the flag
- Comes with a bag, battery and cloth to clean the optics
This is one of the most fairly priced rangefinders at around $116 too. That’s really good, all things considered.
Primacc Rangefiner 600 Yards
The Primacc Rangefinder is one of the few products on this list that will cost under $100. It may not have all the bells and whistles of the more expensive pieces of equipment listed here but it has some nice features, like:
- Simple double button design makes this product very easy to use
- Lowers light reflections and gives you a clear field of vision
- Accurate within a yard and focuses very fast
I would recommend this rangefinder for beginners and intermediate golfers. These players will enjoy it very much.
Eyoyo Golf Rangefinder
Last on the list is another inexpensive ($109) and easy to use product. The Eyoyo Golf Rangefinder is very durable and can measure up to 700 yards away. It also comes with:
- Multiple modes like scan mode, pin seeker mode and ranging mode so you get exactly what you’re looking for
- Waterproof and very durable
- Can be used outside golf (fishing, hunting, camping, hiking)
This rangefinder is very compact and has a sleek look to it. If you decide on the Eyoyo Rangefinder you’ll be very happy you did.
Make Golfing Easy This Year
I know from firsthand experience that golf can be a very frustrating sport. A rangefinder makes life much easier and will help you perform better – no more guessing how far to shoot or what club to use. You’ll have all the information you need to make the right decision every time. There’s a product here for all skill levels and budgets and I know you’ll find one you love.
If you have any question about what you’ve read comment below and I’ll make sure to respond as fast as possible. You can let friends and family see be sharing on social media too.
Are you ready to shave a few strokes of your score this year?