Are you looking for the best catchers gear for 2017? If you are you came to the right place.
I know the difficulties of being a catcher and I would like to show you how to select the right gear. You’ll see my top picks for the year too.
How To Pick The Perfect Catchers Set
- Know what you are getting and what level of protection is being offered
- What size you will need
- Pick a name brand
First off, you need to know exactly what you are getting when making your purchase. Most sets come with a helmet, chest protector and shin/leg guards. Some styles offer different styles of protection. For example, you can get a classic helmet or hockey style helmet. The first is easy to pull off and offers a wide range of vision and the second offers more protection but takes away from field of vision.
After you determine what your set includes, you should know your size. Here is how you measure each piece of equipment:
- Helmet: Helmets are generally determined by age group – youth, intermediate and adult. As long as you get the right age range you can adjust the product to fit your head perfectly.
- Chest Protector: These range between 11″ to 18.” In order to get the right size measure from your throat to naval.
- Leg protectors: Leg protectors range from 11″ to 17.” Measure from the middle of your knee to the top of your foot for proper sizing.
Lastly, make sure to select a name brand and quality set. Being a catcher is rough and the potential for injury is really high. You need proper protection and the best materials to guard yourself. You will get this if you purchase from well known companies like Easton, Mizuno, Louisville Slugger, Under Armour, Rawlings, etc; these are brands professionals wear.
So now that you know what to look for, let’s take a look at my top picks.
Easton M10 Catchers Gear Set
I own a ton of Easton gear and always find their equipment to be durable and protective (they make awesome catchers mitts too) – this is the case with the M10 set. It is extremely well made and has plenty to offer, like:
- Strategically placed vents in the helmet to keep you cool and to reduces sweat build up
- Memory foam padding chest protector that eliminates any shock
- Completely customizable to fit your unique body
This product is very mobile too. You will have no problem moving behind the plate and blocking wild pitches. The helmet is made to come right off so you can catch fly balls and throw runners out too.
Louisville Slugger Series 7 Catchers Gear Set
Company: Louisville Slugger
If you’ve been around baseball long enough you’ve seen or played with Louisville Slugger before. They are known for their high quality gear and their Series 7 catchers is just that – high quality. Besides being NOCSAE approved, this set comes with:
- Moisture wicking technology that eases unnecessary discomforts
- Over the shoulder harness for a secure fit
- Very protective and will reduce likelihood of injury
This piece of equipment is non restricting and allows for maximum movement too; you’ll love how lightweight the Series 7 is.
Mizuno Samurai Adult Catchers Gear Set
Mizuno is another great company and their Samurai catchers gear set is very popular and used by many different players. Like the previous two products you saw, it’s made for elite players who play against tough competition. That’s because it comes with:
- Maximum breathability to eliminate any distractions and sweat
- Steel framed mask that provides superior protection for your face
- Very comfortable
This set will cost over $250 but it is worth it if you can afford that. It truly is a high performing product and one you will love to put on.
Macgregor Varsity Catchers Gear
The Macgregor Varsity is one of the cheapest sets on this list and perfect for anyone looking to save a little money. It may not have all the bells and whistles of the more expensive products here but it still offers:
- Pro style helmet that is easy to take off
- 4 inch throat protector
- Just-thick-enough padding in the leg guards to prevent injury without slowing you down
If you play at the highest levels possible you may want a different set – anyone else will get a lot of use out of this one.
Easton Mako II Adult Catchers Gear
The Easton Mako II is made for high performers who want to play at their absolute highest. This set is a perfect combination of durability, protection and maneuverability. You’ll have no problem blocking wild pitches and gunning runners down. Some top features include:
- Hyperlite EPP foam that’s lightweight and very strong
- Zero Shock memory foam that limits ball rebound on wild pitches
- Venting system to reduce odors and uncomfortable sweat
This package isn’t cheap – it will cost around $400. If you have that to spend and you want to take your game to the next level, however, you must consider the Mako II.
AllStar System 7 Adult Pro Catchers Gear
AllStar makes professional level equipment for catchers and can be found protecting MLB players. If you see a future for yourself in baseball, this is a set you should think about. It will give you everything you need to play your best and comes with:
- High impact resistant ABS plastic shell around the helmet and extra padding near the forehead
- Extremely adjustable so it can fit to any adult catcher
- I-Bar steel frame to improve vision and peripheral view
This is another product that is a little pricey. However, you get what you pay for. When you take a foul ball off your head, you’re going to be glad you were wearing an AllStar helmet.
Easton M7 Catchers Gear
Here we have another Easton product and the M7 is another quality set from this wonderful company. It has everything you’d expect, including:
- An easy to remove helmet
- Multi layer foam on the chest protector to prevent injuries and reduce ball rebound
- Lightweight design that will help you move as fast as possible
It’s pretty affordable too at just over $200. It’s nice to know such high performing equipment can come at such a good price.
Diamond IX5 Catcher Gear
Diamond is a lesser known company but that doesn’t mean they make low quality gear. In fact you should consider yourself very lucky if you get to play with their IX5 set. I know you’ll like the:
- Lightweight helmet that both protects and comes off fast and easy
- Impact resistant padding in every nook and cranny
- Extremely comfortable to wear
It comes in a few different colors including a really cool looking camo. If you want to stick out this year, this might be the design for you.
Rawlings Preferred Adult Catchers Gear
Last on the list comes from a well known company, Rawlings. Their Preferred catchers gear set is an excellent choice for any player looking to improve their game and stay protected. It has some awesome features, which include:
- Extended shoulder pad protection
- Adjustable padding for a perfect fit
- Hockey Style helmet that gives you a wide range of vision
There are a lot of great products available and this is definitely one of them.
Don’t Leave Yourself Unprotected!
Being a catcher isn’t easy and it’s by far the toughest position in baseball. There’s a million different ways you can get hurt so you need to protect yourself properly – purchasing quality catcher’s gear is the best way to do this. No matter your budget, skill level, or needs there’s a set here that will suit you perfectly.
If you have any questions about what you’ve read, comment below and I’ll make sure to answer as fast as possible. You can let friends and family see by sharing on social media too.
Are you ready to throw some runners out this year?